Pearce Lodge Refurbishment, University of Glasgow
The Pearce Lodge building was built between 1885/1887 and is a Category A listed building and one of 6 within the University of Glasgow’s Gilmorehill campus which is considered to be of outstanding architectural significance. The Building is in the Scots baronial style and was designed to incorporate some of the stonework feature and elements from the frontage of the original Old College buildings which was situated on High Street, Glasgow but demolished in 1870.
With the backing and financial assistance of Sir William Pearce (after whom the building is named), chairman of the Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Company, the main decorative features of the Old College façade were salvaged and carefully incorporate within the designs for the Pearce Lodge Building in 1885. As one of the few tangible links back to the University’s original site on High Street, Pearce Lodge is as important now as it was when completed in 1887. This project ensured the full restoration of this building to its former splendour and also re-purposed its interior to create modern and flexible office and teaching space whilst improving access both around this “gateway” building and more generally to the University campus.
The University of Glasgow appointed us to undertake Project Management, Lead Architectural and Conservation Services to fully refurbish the Garde A Listed, former Naval Architecture Building for use by the Universities Business Intelligence Department.
Construction work involved a sensitive restoration process liaising closely with Historic Environment Scotland, Conservation Officers and design and construction team to modernise the building for its new use while maintaining and restoring the historic features of this key University Building.
- Full Feasibility and Concept Design
- Architectural Design
- Statutory and Listed Building Consents
- Interior Design & Space Planning
- Full Conservation and Heritage Services
- Principal Designer
The project has been extremely warmly received by the University staff and students alike and has become a popular photography spot for tourists and visitors to the University campus.